Guerschon de Laurent Dentistry – Our Practice Policies
Confidentiality and Data Protection
What are health records?
Your health records contain information about your healthcare. They are made by doctors, Orthodontists, nurses or other health professionals and can include:
- Details about you, for example your date of birth, address, next of kin, gender, language, ethnicity, any disabilities you have
- Hand-written clinical notes
- Letters to and from other health professionals
- Laboratory reports
- imaging scans such as X-rays
- Printouts from monitoring equipment
- Tape recordings of telephone conversations
Can I access my health records?
Yes. If you would like to see your health records you can ask the clinician who is treating you, or another member of staff. Alternatively, if you would like a copy of your health records please contact:
Guerschon de Laurent
2328 Armour Road
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Is there a charge?
You can get copies of any of your records which are held either on computer or in paper format; however, there will be a small administrative charge for this and you will be advised of the cost when you make your inquiry.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, we are required to keep your health records safe and confidential. Every member of staff has a duty to keep any information that they come across completely confidential.
Apart from clinical and administrative staff involved with your treatment, we will only share information that other health care professionals involved in your care need to know about. These may include your GP, dentist, health visitor or community nurse. We will not share information if you ask us not to but we may wish to discuss with you how this might affect your care.
By law we may also sometimes have to provide the information to other agencies, for example when a formal court order has been issued or when we encounter infectious diseases which may be a risk to others.
Violence and aggression in the workplace
What is violence?
Violence and aggression at work is defined by the Health and Safety Executive as any incident in which an employee is abused, threatened or assaulted by a member of the public, colleague, service user or their family in circumstances arising out of the course of their employment. This may include; verbal abuse, threatening behaviour, serious or persistent harassment and physical assault. Violence and aggression will not be tolerated and reasonable appropriate actions will be taken to prevent such situations occurring.
Child Protection Policy
Guerschon de Laurent has a duty of care to safeguard all children involved in Kansas City Dental from harm. All children have a right to protection, and the needs of disabled children and others who may be particularly vulnerable must be taken into account. Kansas City Dental will ensure the safety and protection of all children involved through adherence to the Child Protection guidelines. A child is defined as a person under the age of 18 (The Children Act 1989).
The aim of the Child Protection Policy is to promote good practice:
- providing children and young people with appropriate safety and protection while in the care of Kansas City Dental
- All personnel are encouraged to demonstrate exemplary behavior in order to promote children’s welfare and reduce the likelihood of allegations being made.
- If you would like further details about our practice policies and standards, please speak to our Practice Manager.